I’m a particle physicist at Uppsala University.
I work as associate professor/senior lecturer (universitetslektor) in the Theoretical High Energy Physics group of the Department of Physics and Astronomy. I have previously worked at École Polytechnique in Paris, Berkeley Lab & UC Berkeley in Berkeley, and The University of Arizona in Tucson.
My research is on theoretical particle physics. I’m mostly interested in physics beyond the Standard Model, with a focus on Higgs and other scalar fields, and astroparticle physics, such as high-energy neutrinos produced in astrophysical sources and in Earth’s atmosphere.
For more information:
I recently co-chaired the Charged Higgs 2016 workshop in Uppsala.
- Period 1 (fall): Symmetry and Group Theory in Physics for the master program in physics (Student Portal link)
- Period 1-2 (fall): Quantum Mechanics, advanced course for the master program and for engineering physics (Student Portal link)
- Period 4 (spring): Advanced Particle Physics for the master program in physics. (Student Portal link)
- Mechanics II for engineering students.
- Mechanics III for engineering physics.
- Astroparticle physics, fall 2010. I gave three guest lectures on acceleration mechanisms and astrophysical sources of cosmic rays and neutrinos.
- Standard Model and Beyond for PhD students, spring 2010.
- Physics 371: Quantum Theory (introduction to Quantum Mechanics) at the University of Arizona, fall 2007. Lecture notes and problem sets.
- Guest lecture on Monte Carlo simulation at the UC Berkeley graduate course Physics 229C, Fall 2006.
- I was interviewed for an article in the Swedish popsci magazine Forskning och Framsteg about symmetries in physics
- I was interviewed for the podcast Professor Magenta (in Swedish). There are two episodes (one, two) and a blog post about this.
- Answer to a reader question about the laws of nature in the magazine Forskning och Framsteg
- I have given talks to high school science teachers (gymnasielärare) about physics at the LHC and the Higgs boson as part of the “Inspiration days for teachers” organized by Skolverket (the National Agency for Education) and KVA (the Royal Academy of Sciences). My talk and the others on the same day can be found here. (Animations and movies are missing.)
- Popular talk, Fysik vid LHC, Uppsala, April 7, 2011.
- Popular lecture on the theory of relativity, given for the Association of Young Scientists, February 7, 2009, for the Hands on CERN Masterclass in particle physics on March 26, 2009, for the Physics and Astronomy Open House on April 4, 2009, and again for a Masterclass on March 21, 2011.
- Pedagogical lecture(docent lecture; in Swedish) on extra dimensions at Uppsala University, October 16, 2006. Undergraduate level.
Supervision (PhD and undergraduate theses)
- Currently main PhD advisor of Johan Löfgren and associate advisor of Andreas Ekstedt.
- Previous PhD theses:
- Bachelor and master theses supervised:
- Glenn Wouda, Charged Higgs Bosons in non-minimal Supersymmetry
- Lena Wallenhorst, Dark Matter in the NMSSM [pdf]
- Viveca Lindahl, Detection Prospects of Doubly Charged Higgs Bosons from the Higgs Triplet Model at the LHC [pdf]
- Henrike Fleischhack, Studies of the Phenomenology of H+ to W+Z events with ATLAS at LHC [pdf]
- Calle Niblaeus, Simulations of Quantum Black Hole collisions at the LHC with PYTHIA [pdf]
- Andreas Ekstedt, The soft color interactions of diffractive scattering. A study of Rapidity gap formation by BFKL exchange [thesis]
- Johan Löfgren, Electroweak phase transitions in the two-Higgs-doublet
model after the first LHC run [thesis]
- Henrik Jansson, Unification in Particle Physics [thesis]
- Melissa Harris, Left-Right Symmetric Model: Putting lower bounds on the mass of the heavy, charged WR gauge boson [thesis]
- In 2013, I got the Benzelius Prize from the Royal Society of Sciences at Uppsala (KVS).
- I was also elected member of the other academy in Uppsala: the Royal Society of Arts and Sciences of Uppsala (KVSU).
- I was chairman of the Section of Particle and Astroparticle Physics of the Swedish Physical Society 2012-2013 and a member of the board 2010-2013.